How to Create a Successful Online Health Coaching Business
The healthcare field is in flux. Once upon a time, doctors were the only experts anyone trusted with concerns about wellness, fitness, and overall health. Today, the average person may consult with an RN, collaborate with a nutritionist or personal trainer, work with an acupuncturist, seek answers online, or all of the above. How we construct our fitness routines, adjust our diets, and manage our bodies’ needs is changing. And health coaches are right on the front lines of this healthcare revolution.
I’m not the only one who thinks so.
“I think we’re going to see future healthcare without walls … that most problems will be dealt with by people by themselves at home without healthcare providers or maybe health coaches or maybe online groups or whatever the Facebook of healthcare is. That’s where I think we’re going that’s going to change the face of medicine.”
Well said, and so true! As people’s needs and wellness-fueled desires evolve, the practitioners who help them must also evolve. Becoming a health coach is the first step—and it’s a doozy—but finding ways to reach and help more clients online is the logical next step.
7 Reasons to Take Your Health Coaching Practice Online
Still wavering? Here are seven of the many reasons that offering your skills and expertise to online clients is a smart move.
1. Market demand and support: Prominent MDs are saying that health coaches are key to the future of medicine. That’s significant. And encouraging.
2. Supplemental income: The studio may be your bread and butter, but you’re ready to add a new revenue stream. And you’d rather build it yourself than tinker with an existing MLM model.
3. Spreading knowledge: You’re an experienced, passionate, articulate expert. And you want to share what you know with as many people as possible.
4. Community-building: You’re craving the support and input of other health-conscious people and expert practitioners. Folks who might live outside your immediate geographic area and be able to share insights that your offline community lacks.
5. Need for change: Or perhaps you’re feeling restless and unfulfilled in your current work. Something is missing, and you’re craving deeper meaning and new opportunities.
6. True flexibility: Work wherever, whenever, and however you choose.
7. Balancing family: Speaking of flexibility, if you’ve got kids and want to be home with them, an online business component makes that possible. And does so while simultaneously feeding your need for a rewarding creative outlet.
In all likelihood, you can add another three or four deeply personal reasons to this list. So you’ve got the “why” fully covered. Now let’s talk about the “how.”
How to Launch Your Online Health Coaching Business
Naturally, there’s isn’t just one way to jumpstart the online arm of your coaching practice. We’ve helped dozens of coaches use Namastream to build and enhance their platforms, and each has taken a unique, customized approach. You should feel free to tweak, add, or eliminate steps as you see fit, of course! But these actions have worked for many now-established and phenomenally successful online health coaches, so we’re sharing them as a loose template.
- Create an online home base: Many coaches start with a blog since it offers an accessible platform for sharing insights and ideas. If you are more community-minded, a Facebook group or self-hosted forum can work, too.
- Share your activities: The home base is your hub, but leverage other social media to share photos, quotes, and glimpses into your doings. This gives folks who tend to hang out elsewhere online a reason to visit your blog or group to see what else you’re up to.
- Consider a certification or degree: Some health coaches go without, but many find that “making it official” helps instill confidence in readers, followers, and potential clients.
- Create and offer products, classes, or packages: Once your following is robust and engaged, it’s time to find paid ways to engage them. Webinars and online coaching packages are where many choose to start. Be sure to listen to your community as you begin to design and build online offerings.
- Forge strategic partnerships: As you continue learning, writing, and helping clients, keep your eyes peeled for natural partnerships with other practitioners or lifestyle brands. Leveraging the visibility of aligned colleagues and companies is just smart business.
- Expand your offerings: Producing ebooks and workbooks may seem like a step that should come earlier in the process, but it’s best to establish your client base and ethos first. Writing, packaging, and marketing these tools later tends to work best.
More Tips for Making Your Online Coaching Business Successful
Tackling those concrete steps is essential, but building a sustainable, scalable online coaching practice isn’t just about nuts and bolts. Here’s, even more, heart-centered advice from the Namastream team designed to help your business thrive!
From Susan: Be authentic and empathetic. It’s tough to be a wellness coach if you appear to have sprung—fully formed and with 2% body fat—from out of nowhere! Share your story, share your struggles, and let your potential clients relate to you on a personal level.
From Sandy: Be specific. Attempting to be everything to everyone will just lead to overwhelm and burnout. Hone in on what you love most and do best, and build your essential offerings around those things. Doing this puts you in position to attract clients who need your exact expertise, and allows you to pass on partnerships and opportunities that aren’t perfect-fits. If you want to work with women who cope with chronic pain or men recovering from eating disorders, make that completely clear. And watch as those people flock to you.
From Jennifer (me!): Be informed. Even if you don’t pursue degrees or certifications, make sure you understand both your own field and the basics of entrepreneurship. It’s essential that you understand how to make money and embrace the basics of keeping your business afloat. Working with a strategist or business coach can help, but so can hitting the books on your own. And don’t just read, learn, and execute. Always keep learning! (Our Soulful MBA program could be just what you need!)
From Kathleen: Be talkative. Embrace social media with both arms, then leverage your following. You’re gonna have to get comfortable with tooting your own horn, and tooting it often, and tooting it across multiple platforms! Whenever you learn something new, hear about a class or read an article that excites you, hit a milestone, or create a new offering, tell everyone. And tell them multiple times.
From Chris: Be available. Offering in-person classes and services can only serve to support your online endeavors. You can expand your reach exponentially by working online, but there will always be a few folks who prefer to learn analog. Make yourself available to them, too.
Overwhelmed? It’s a lot to absorb, we know! But the process of taking your practice online is one that requires time and energy and effort. It’s easy to get revved up and dive in before you’ve created a solid game plan, but believe us when we say doing so can lead to wasted time and deep frustration. Create a thoughtful plan of action, let your plan be your roadmap, follow its steps in logical order, and you’ll soon find your online coaching practice blossoming.
Ready to get started? Signing up for Namastream allows you to create that virtual studio you’ve been dreaming of, teach or coach from anywhere on the planet, and know that we’ve got your back for any technical issues. You concentrate on creating transformative and impactful content, we’ll make sure that content reaches your ideal clients.
If you found this post helpful, you should check out our Soulful MBA Resource Library — where we have more free tutorials, workbooks, and trainings to help you prepare to launch your online teaching business.
Music is an integral part of many wellness classes, and can be especially important to online instruction. The right playlist adds depth and personality to a yoga video, helping set the tone for the class and creating a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere for the student....
Quick dose of brutal honesty: It takes time, skill, and a healthy dose of trial-and-error to create Facebook ads that deliver the absolute best results for your unique wellness business. In this post, we’ll give you an overview of some important basics and a few...
One of the questions that the Namastream team fields most often is, “How do I price my online products?” And with good reason! Pricing can seem like a delicate art, and one that can make or break your business. Should you be cheaper or more expensive than your...